Monday, October 17, 2016

Portabello Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Okay, I admit it.....I'm getting hooked on these Portobello mushrooms!!!  They replace "meat" to my palate and taste.  The texture, taste, appearance....everything....they work!  I have visions of them smothered in steak sauce, barbecue sauce....any number of ways.  I was kind of hungry at lunchtime today and didn't want to spend a lot of time making something up and I'd been thinking about Portobello mushrooms, again!  I still had a few in the refrigerator from a prior experiment and didn't want them to go back...so was trying to figure a way to use them.  This was going to be a "shortcut" lunch as it was getting late in the afternoon.  Next time, I'll make a few minor modifications, but here's lunch today and it was wonderful!

INGREDIENTS
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan  Cheese
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
1 Teaspoon Dry Basil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
Kosher Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
Sliced Portobello Mushrooms (enough to fill Sandwich Rolls
Sandwich Roll
1 Roma Tomato

PREPARE SANDWICH ROLLS
Open rolls and separate halves.  Place them inside facing up.  In a small bowl, mix Mayonnaise, Parmesan Cheese and 1 Teaspoon of dry Basil together.  Using A pastry brush, liberally spread the mixture onto the inside surfaces of the Sandwich Rolls.  Set aside.

I used the broiler, as I didn't want to fire up the grill, but I know the grill would have been better.  I mixed the Olive Oil, Minced Garlic and Balsamic Vinegar together.  Then I brushed both sides of the Portobello mushrooms with that mix.  Then, I sprinkled Kosher Salt and Black Pepper on the mushroom slices.

The mushroom slices were placed on the broiler tray and put under the broiler for 3 minutes.  The mushrooms were flipped over and back under the broiler for another 3 minutes.

Finally, the mushroom slices were placed on one side of the Sandwich Rolls to fill the roll.  Thin slices of Provolone Cheese were placed on top of the Portobello slices and the pan went back into the broiler for 1 more minute.  Just enough time to completely melt the cheese.

The sandwiches were removed from the broiler with hot melted cheese dripping all over the Portobello Mushrooms. Roma Tomato slices were placed on top of the melted cheese and the tops of the Sandwich Rolls were put in place.  Hot and delicious and ready to serve!

NOTE: In the future, I think I might add about a Teaspoon of Worcester Sauce to the marinate I put on the mushroom slices.  And perhaps, I would saute a few white onion slices to accompany the tomato slices.

Anyway, I've added one more Portobello Mushroom sandwich to my lunchtime sandwich selection and would highly recommend that you try them!

If you have questions, please feel free to email me at: stan.kain@gmail.com  And you may subscribe to my Recipe Blog for updates and new recipes as I add them.  Please share the recipes with friends and family, if you enjoy the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment