Monday, October 3, 2016

Pineapple Upside Down Cake...Even I Can Make!

Okay....it's no big secret.  I can't bake!  I'm not big on eating sweets and desserts and I'm at a loss for making them.  Wouldn't dream of trying to make pie crust...I just buy them from the freezer section if I need them.  My mother was amazing at making....she could fix anything!  She even made candies...difficult kinds...like Divinity.  She could make perfect ravioli from scratch...little escaped her cooking skills.  On the other hand, I just ate them and didn't learn anything about her methods.  One of the few desserts I do enjoy is Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  I look at the price in the bakery department and walk away.  There HAS to be something easier!  Something even I can make and have people find it to be edible.  Some hunting and experimenting led me to an awesome Pineapple Upside Down Cake...and I get great reviews when I serve it!  Trust me, if I can make it....ANYONE can make it and be happy with it!  So, without further delay, let's make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

EQUIPMENT
You're going to need a slow cooker, like you'd use to make soups or stew.  One of those slow cookers with the ceramic pot that can be removed from the metal base.

INGREDIENTS
1 box of white cake mix (I'm never particular what kind...just so all it requires is a couple of eggs and oil)
1 can of pineapple slices
1 jar of Maraschino cherries
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup of melted butter (not margarine...use butter!)
Eggs (per the instructions with the box of cake mix)
Vegetable oil (per the instructions with the box of cake mix)
Can of cooking spray (I prefer olive oil, but vegetable oil is fine)

First, spray the inside of the ceramic crock pot...slow cooker dish with the cooking spray.  This way, your cake will release easily when finished cooking.

Melt the butter...low heat so you don't burn it and mix thoroughly with the brown sugar.  Evenly distribute the brown sugar/butter mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.  Make sure you cover the bottom in a nice even layer.

Open the can of pineapple slices and save the juice in the can.  Place the pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar mix, covering the bottom of the slow cooker insert.  You can cut the pineapple slices in half or quarters so you get the right to the edges of the insert.  Now, place a Maraschino cherry in the hole in the center of each pineapple slice.  You can add a few extra cherries in empty spots, if you're like me and like the cherries!

Read the directions on the box of cake mix and follow those instructions for making the cake batter.  Use the eggs and vegetable oil called for on the box.  Don't add the required water yet!  Take the saved pineapple just and add just enough water to one cup of pineapple juice to meet the liquid requirements for the cake.  Mix the cake, following the instructions on the box.

Now, pour the cake mix over the top of the pineapple slices and Maraschino cherries.  Pour it SLOWLY, so everything stays in place.  Use the entire box of cake mix.  The batter will level out and you're ready to go.  Put the cover on the slow cooker and turn the heat to the "HIGH" position.  Set a timer for 2 hours and 45 minutes. hours let your cake cook in the slow cooker.  When the timer goes off, remove the lid from the slow cooker and insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake.  When you extract the toothpick, if it's clean, the cake is finished.  If not, cook for a bit longer time, but the time I gave you should be just about right.

When the cake is finished, remove the ceramic insert from the slow cooker and let it sit on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.  Now, for the trickiest part, but again, even I can do it!  Place a large platter on top of the slow cooker insert...upside down....since it's going to be the platter for the cake.  Holding the plate tightly against the slow cooker insert, turn the insert upside down in one smooth, quick motion!  Your cake will drop right out of the insert, onto the plate, thanks to the cooking spray you used.

That's it!!!  You should have a beautiful and tasty Pineapple Upside Down Cake, ready to serve!  Everyone will be impressed with your baking skills!

If you have questions, please feel free to email me at: stan.kain@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment