Saturday, October 15, 2016

Lemon And Herb Chicken

I fix and serve a lot of chicken around here.  I like it and it's inexpensive, as well.  As such, I've come up with a load of different ways to prepare it and it's a favorite in many of my Asian dishes.  Probably the one thing I don't do with chicken is fry it.  I'm not big on any kind of fried foods and avoid them most of the time.  There are a few fried dishes, but they are kept to a minimum.  Here's one easy to prepare and tasty chicken dish you might enjoy.

INGREDIENTS
1 Whole Chicken (or chicken parts...Drumsticks or Thighs..."skin on" chicken is best)
3 Lemons
1 Medium White Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
Dried Rosemary and Thyme (or your choice of herbs)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Olive Oil

PREPARATION
Thoroughly wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.  Put olive oil in a small dish and add the dry herbs.  Let the oil and herbs sit for at least 5 minutes.  Grind or grate the onion and garlic into a small bowl with the juice from the lemons.

Salt and pepper each piece of chicken.  Now, rub the garlic/onion and lemon juice onto the skin of the chicken.  Using a small pastry brush, thoroughly brush each piece of chicken with the mixture of olive oil and herbs.  Apply a generous coating.  The olive oil will help make the chicken skin nice and crispy.

Pre-heat the oven to 425 F degrees.  Place the pieces of chicken into a baking dish or pan.  I prefer to use a Pyrex baking dish.  Put the chicken into the oven for about 1 hour.  You may wish to turn the pieces of chicken, after about half an hour.  When cooked, the chicken should be nice and brown appearing.  Since I like a very crispy skin on chicken, I will then put the chicken under the broiler for about 5 minutes.  Just long enough to make the skin more crispy and char it a little bit.


The chicken goes well with about any side dish.  It's great served with steamed rice, rice pilaf, mashed potatoes or even a bed of pasta with sauteed mushrooms.

I hope you enjoy this simple and easy chicken dish.  It's very basic, but healthy and nutritious.

If you have questions, please feel free to email me at: stan.kain@gmail.com  You may also subscribe to my Recipe Blog so you get the latest updates!


6 comments:

  1. Thnx for all the fabulous recipes Stan! Will let you know how I do. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome, Sherry! I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy working and experimenting with them and sharing with everyone. I try to keep them simple and inexpensive, as well as healthy alternatives to other ways of cooking. It's been pretty much of a lifestyle for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your attention to cost and simplicity and thanks for mastering them before sharing them with the rest of us. All we have to do is cook them up and enjoy!

      Delete
    2. I appreciate your attention to cost and simplicity and thanks for mastering them before sharing them with the rest of us. All we have to do is cook them up and enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I feel like cost and simplicity are so essential today, Sherry. People work long, hard hours and trying to eat healthy is always a challenge on a budget. I have a tight budget myself, so I fully appreciate it! And I enjoy the experimenting! I've learned to keep paper and pen handy...and measure. LOL It's good discipline for me, as well. And there is nothing that feels quite as good as sharing something others will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete