Thursday, October 20, 2016

Hard Boiled And Soft Boiled Eggs - The Easy Way!

I've been rather busy for a couple of days and under the weather, as well.  I really haven't had the opportunity to post more recipes, but thought a few simple tips on cooking eggs might be of interest.

I really like soft boiled eggs now and then for breakfast.  No frying and grease.  Likewise, I often poach morning eggs for the same reason.  Soft boiling eggs has always been a bit of a challenge for me, as they just seem to come out not cooked enough or overcooked.  The same with hard boiled eggs.  I have a bad habit of overcooking them.

I don't know about your experience, but often, I'll prepare hard boiled eggs, then battle them while trying to remove the shells.  The shell will often be stuck to the egg and by the time I finish shelling the egg, I have about half an egg left.  I think it may have something to do with the age of the egg, the moisture content of the egg, or maybe my overcooking.

But, I've found the easy way to prepare eggs...hard or soft boiled and be much happier with the result.  And the eggs are way easier to shell.  I've read about experiments in professional kitchens for preparing eggs and this seems to be the best way to go, so wanted to share it.

DISCLAIMER
There are variables...depending upon the size of the eggs you're using, your altitude in respect to boiling water and your particular taste in how you want the eggs to be.  You may have to experiment a little bit with the times I suggest, but these are quite close for my satisfaction.  I suggest checking one egg before you use the rest...just to be sure you're happy with the result.

The secret to hard or soft boiling eggs is to NOT boil them in a pan of water!  The best way to cook the eggs is to steam them, rather than boil them.  And best of all, the hot steam penetrates the egg shell and they peel much more easily!

PREPARATION
We're going to use a large saucepan and a steamer basket placed inside the saucepan.  I use a steamer basket which may be placed in most any size pan and it opens up to the appropriate pan size.  Handy for steaming vegetables and I use it often.  Make sure you have a tight fitting cover for the saucepan, as well.

With the steamer basket in the saucepan, add water until the water level is just even with the bottom of the steamer basket.  Not above the steamer basket.  Put the saucepan on a burner on high heat so the water will boil.  Once you have the water boiling and visible steam coming off the pan, Remove the heat.

Now, carefully place your eggs into the steamer basket in a single layer.  Try to use eggs of a consistent size, so cooking time is uniform.  Additional layers complicates the cooking time.  With the eggs neatly resting in the steamer basket, cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and apply medium heat, so the water will begin to steam again.

If you are preparing soft boiled eggs, I suggest you set a timer for 6 minutes.  This should be just about right for good soft boiled eggs.  If you wish to have hard boiled eggs with the yolk still a bit transparent and a bright yellow, 10 minutes should be just about right.  If you would prefer hard cooked hard boiled eggs, with more of a gray color on the outside of the yolk, try about 12 minutes.  You'll be much happier, in any case than ending up with green colored, overcooked egg yolks.

When the cooking time is up on your eggs, remove them from the steamer basket with a slotted spoon and gently place them in a bowl of very cold water....preferably ice water.  They will quickly cool enough you are able to handle them to remove the shell.  Best of all, with the steam having penetrated the shell, then the ice cold water bath, the shell will remove easily from the egg, leaving you with a whole egg and not part of it still attached to the broken pieces of eggshell.

I've learned that steaming eggs is a very standard practice for many restaurants and commercial kitchens.  It's worth the effort and absolutely true if you like good soft boiled eggs on the menu.

If you have questions, please feel free to email me at: stan.kain@gmail.com  You may also subscribe to my Recipe Blog and receive updates and new recipe information as I add to the blog.  And, as always, feel free to share recipes and tips with friends and family.  I hope this helps with your egg dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment