Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Chinese Egg Drop Soup

On cold days, or days when I'm not feeling very well, one of my favorite "comfort soups" is Chinese Egg Drop Soup.  Probably the Chinese equivalent to Chicken Noodle Soup....I don't know.  But, it's a favorite, even if I'm out at a Chinese restaurant....something I always have to include with my meal.

Egg Drop Soup is very simple to prepare at home and I can put a pot of it together, even if I'm feeling under the weather.  It warms you right up and it's easy on the digestive system, if you aren't feeling well or have a bit of a cold or the flu.  It's also nice to serve as a side treat with any Asian meal you serve.

Here's a simple recipe and it will be every bit as good as what you find in a Chinese restaurant!  Since I do a lot of Asian cooking around here, my kitchen is always stocked with boxes of chicken, beef and vegetable broth.  Never without it!  I use it in many soups and other Asian dishes, as well as a few other styles of cooking.

INGREDIENTS
5 Cups Chicken Broth (packaged or homemade)
2 Eggs
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 Scallions (Green Onions)

This is an example of the Oyster Sauce I use here.

And this would be the Sesame Oil I use.



Put 4 3/4 cups of chicken broth in a pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.  While you're waiting for the chicken broth to boil, put the remaining 1/4 cup of cold chicken broth into a container and stir in the corn starch, making sure it's well mixed.  Crack the 2 eggs into a measuring cup and beat them thoroughly.  Finely chop the 2 scallions, including the green tops.

As the chicken broth comes to a boil, add the Sesame oil, Oyster Sauce and Soy Sauce.  Stir in well.  With the broth at a gentle boil, add the cornstarch and remaining chicken broth, stirring in well.  The broth will begin to thicken a bit from the corn starch and as soon as it does, reduce the heat to a simmer.

Now, SLOWLY DRIZZLE the beaten eggs into the simmering broth, while whisking the egg into the broth.  I prefer using a pair of chopsticks for doing this, but if you wish, you may use a fork.  Whisk well, so you get fine strands of egg and not a lump.

Once the eggs are in the soup, add the scallions and stir, right before removing the soup from the heat.  You really don't want the tender scallions to cook in the soup, but they will soften and impart flavor just being in the hot soup.  Once the scallions are stirred in, the Egg Drop soup is ready to serve!  Enjoy!

If you have questions, please email me at: stan.kain@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment